Westchester Criminal Defense Attorney
While not as trendy as South Beach, Westchester is a bustling and growing community in Miami-Dade County. The area is situated between SW 40th Street and Eighth Street (“Calle Ocho”) and runs from the Palmetto Expressway to SW 117 Avenue. There are plenty of restaurants, shops, parks and other amenities in Westchester, making it an attractive place to live for professionals, families, and retirees.
According to the most recent census, 85 percent of Westchester’s population is Latino, a vibrant mix of Cuban, Nicaraguan, and Colombian residents. With quaint Cuban restaurants, some of which are Miami landmarks, custom bakeries, and mom-and-pop shops, Westchester is also a great place to visit. You can beat the daily traffic by utilizing the elevated train lines — Metrorail and Metromover — or hop a ride on Westchester’s bus trolley system, the Westchester Circulator.
While the overall crime rate of Westchester is lower than the national average, drug possession, theft, assault, burglary, and other crimes are not uncommon. As with most other towns and cities in Florida, Westchester residents are also frequently charged with driving under the influence (DUI). Regardless of the nature of the offense, anyone who has been accused of a crime in Westchester needs an experienced criminal defense attorney in his or her corner.
Call Us At 786-361-6887 For A FREE Consultation!
We Offer Financing Services!
Westchester Criminal Defense Law Firm
Valiente, Carollo and McElligott PLLC is a premier criminal defense practice serving clients in Westchester and throughout South Florida. Our firm was founded on the principle that anyone who has been accused of a crime is entitled to the powerful representation we are prepared to provide while utilizing technology to improve efficiency and allow us to remain cost-effective and affordable to our top priority – you, our clients. All of our attorneys speak fluent Spanish and Portuguese and are highly regarded for deftly guiding each client through the criminal justice system.
As seasoned criminal defense attorneys, we know that prosecutors take a tough stance on crime and will push for a conviction. We have the knowledge and experience to fight back and will work to preserve your freedom.
What is the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony?
There are two types of criminal offenses in Westchester — misdemeanor offenses and felony offenses:
- Misdemeanors — offenses involving criminal acts that are less serious than felonies and typically non-violent in nature. Examples of misdemeanor offenses in Westchester include driving under the influence (DUI), possessing small amounts of marijuana, and disorderly conduct, and similar offenses. In short, misdemeanors carry less severe penalties than felony offenses, even though a conviction may result in jail time and fines.
- Felonies — offenses that are far more serious in nature than misdemeanors, felonies in Westchester include burglary, sexual assault, homicide, and other violent crimes. A felony conviction can result in a lengthy prison sentence, heavy fines, and probation. In addition, there will be collateral consequences, such as the loss of certain civil rights (e.g. the right to vote, the right to possess a firearm), and lasting damage to your reputation.
Common Criminal Offenses in Westchester, Florida
The criminal defense attorneys at Valiente, Carollo and McElligott PLLC routinely handle a wide range of state and federal misdemeanor and felony charges in Westchester, including:
- DUI — A DUI conviction could lead to significant fines, license suspension, and even imprisonment. Our attorneys know how to assert numerous defenses against DUI charges regardless of whether this is your first offense or you have prior convictions.
- Drug crimes — The state’s narcotics laws are strictly enforced in Westchester and a conviction may lead to severe penalties. Our drug crimes attorneys frequently defend clients against state and federal drug charges, including drug possession, distribution, trafficking, manufacturing, and prescription fraud.
- Theft crimes — There are a wide variety of theft charges under the Florida criminal code such as shoplifting, grand larceny, burglary, dealing in stolen merchandise, and auto theft. Whether you are charged with a felony or misdemeanor depends on the value of the property taken and the circumstances surrounding the offense (e.g. use of force or a deadly weapon during the commission of the crime).
- Violent crimes — The use of physical force or a weapon to cause injury, or the threat of harm, to another person is considered a violent crime. Examples include assault, robbery, kidnapping, sexual assault, weapons offenses, manslaughter, and murder. Violent crimes in Westchester are often charged as felonies, and a conviction can lead to imprisonment, substantial, fines and mandatory rehabilitation or counseling.
- Domestic violence — This offense involves an act or threat of violence against a person with whom the accused has or had a close relationship — current or former spouses, parents, children, romantic partners, or anyone sharing the same household. We defend clients who have been accused of domestic violence and also arrange protective court orders for victims of domestic violence.
- Juvenile crimes — We routinely handle juvenile offenses in Westchester, including drug charges, theft and property crimes, traffic violations, DUI and other alcohol-related offenses.
- Sex Crimes — Subjecting another person to sexual contact without that person’s consent or engaging in some other form of sexual misconduct can lead to felony charges. If you have been charged with a sex crime in Westchester, it takes an experienced criminal defense attorney to protect your freedom and your reputation.
- Gun/Weapon-related crimes — We defend clients against violations of gun possession, concealed carry, stand your ground and/or other gun laws in Westchester.
Contact Our Westchester Criminal Defense Lawyer
When you work with us, we will take the time to explain your rights and advise you about all of your options. By carefully weighing the strength of the evidence against you, we will choose the best line of defense. Above all, we will work tirelessly to achieve the best possible outcome of your case. If you are facing criminal charges in Westchester, the sooner you call us, the sooner we can defend you. We offer free consultations and reasonable rates and will work tirelessly to preserve your freedom. Se habla español.
Contact our office as soon as possible to speak with our attorneys. We have financing available!