Miami Criminal Defense Attorney
Serving Clients Throughout Miami, Miami Beach, and all of Miami-Dade County
Being arrested and dealing with the criminal justice system without a dedicated advocate by your side can be overwhelming. Because a conviction may have serious consequences, not the least of which are imprisonment, fines, and a tarnished reputation, it is crucial to have bold and aggressive legal representation.
Valiente Law is a premier criminal defense firm serving clients in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach and throughout the state of Florida. Well-versed in the applicable criminal statutes and rules of criminal procedure, we are highly regarded for successfully trying cases in state and federal court. We offer each client knowledge, compassion, and aggressive legal representation. When your freedom is in jeopardy, our legal team will work tirelessly to protect your rights and restore your good name.
Here at Valiente Law, we are aggressive, experienced criminal defense attorneys. Anything from the least serious of state crimes to very serious state or federal crimes. Being arrested and charged with a crime is extremely serious. Even if the charges aren’t that serious, it is still something that will stay on your record. It could affect you for the rest of your life having your mug shot online even if charges are dismissed. So it’s crucial, it’s extremely important to have an experienced and knowledgeable attorney there. And as quickly as possible too! That’s something that we stress to people when they call is as quick after an arrest or after you find out that you’re being investigated, it’s important to contact an attorney because in a lot of situations, yes it’s great to go to trial and get an acquittal but if we can start from the very beginning when you find out that there’s a grand jury that is investigating or that you may be arrested, contacting an attorney at that point, someone like us, ideally you don’t ever have to go to court.
Florida Criminal Charges
Our criminal defense attorneys routinely handle a wide range of state misdemeanor and felony charges, including:
- DUI — Because driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs l is inherently dangerous and contributes to numerous car accident fatalities each year, Florida DUI laws are strictly enforced. In fact, you may also face DUI charges for operating a motor vehicle while impaired by prescription or over-the-counter medication. While good people make mistakes, a DUI conviction can still lead to significant fines, a license suspension, immigration consequences, and even imprisonment. Whether this is your first offense or you have prior convictions, there are numerous defenses we can assert against DUI charges.
- Drug crimes — Although the use of prescription medical marijuana is legal in Florida under limited circumstances, narcotics laws continue to be strictly enforced. Our experienced legal team routinely handles state and federal drug charges ranging from possession of marijuana and distribution, trafficking, or manufacturing controlled substances to prescription fraud.
- Theft crimes — Taking property that does not belong to you with the intent to temporarily or permanently deprive the owner of it is referred to as theft. We have successfully defended clients against a wide range of theft charges such as shoplifting, petit theft, grand theft, grand theft of a vehicle, burglary, and dealing in stolen property.
- Violent crimes — Generally, the use of physical force or a weapon to cause injury, or the threat of injury, to another person,is considered a violent crime. In particular, such crimes include assault, battery, robbery, domestic violence, kidnapping, sexual assault, weapons offenses, manslaughter, and murder. Because such violent offenses are often charged as felonies, convictions can lead to significant prison time, lengthy probation terms, substantial fines and mandatory rehabilitation or counseling.
- Domestic violence — Acts or threats of violence against a person with whom the accused has or had a close relationship — current or former spouses, parents, children, and romantic partners fit under the umbrella of domestic violence. Punishment may include imprisonment, fines, probation, and/or an extended stay away order. Our attorneys have extensive experience suited to craft defense strategies for individuals accused of domestic violence.
- Juvenile crimes — We routinely handle juvenile offenses such as drug charges, theft and property crimes, violent crimes, traffic violations, DUI and other alcohol-related offenses. Our trustworthy criminal attorneys will work to protect the rights, future and well-being of your child.
- Sex crimes — Sex crimes involve subjecting another person to sexual contact without that person’s consent or engaging in some other form of sexual misconduct. We defend clients against sex crime charges ranging from indecent exposure and child pornography to prostitution and sexual battery. Because a conviction can lead to a lengthy imprisonment, MDSO probation, involuntary civil commitment, and mandatory registration as a sexual offender or sexual predator, it is crucial to have an experienced criminal defense attorney in your corner if you are charged with this type of offense.
- Gun crimes — Despite Florida’s storied tradition of gun ownership, hunting, sportsmanship and firearm advocacy, the state’s gun laws are strictly enforced. For most gun-related charges such as carrying a concealed firearm without the proper permit, improper exhibition of a firearm, or punishment enhancements for using a firearm in a crime, punishments such as imprisonment and probation can be very lengthy (10-20-Life).
- White collar crime — This category of nonviolent crimes is committed through deceit and motivated by financial gain. White collar crime includes Medicare or Medicaid fraud, embezzlement, extortion, forgery, bribery, falsifying business records, insurance fraud, money laundering, credit card fraud, criminal tax fraud, mortgage fraud, and identity theft.
Federal criminal charges are serious because convictions typically lead to imprisonment and cost you the loss of many of your civil rights. Our legal team handles cases involving federal crimes such as:
- Drug crimes
- Medicare or Medicaid fraud
- Insurance fraud
- Bank and securities fraud
- Credit card fraud
- Tax fraud
- Firearms and weapons charges
- Cyber crimes
- Immigration crimes
- Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) violations
It is worth noting the difference between the potential outcomes in state and federal criminal cases, particularly regarding sentencing. In the federal court system, statutory guidelines dictate minimum and maximum sentences. Moreover, judges are given wide latitude in meting out punishments, while prosecutors often seek the highest possible penalty, putting defendants at a disadvantage. We have the skills and resources to level the playing field and preserve your freedom and your rights.
Defending Criminal Charges in Florida
If you are under investigation or have been charged with a state or federal crime, turn to Valiente Law. As attorneys who have worked as public defenders and handled cases ranging from speeding tickets to capital murder, we know the importance of the decision you’re making when selecting a lawyer. That decision can have life-changing consequences and should never be taken lightly.
A conviction can not only lead to imprisonment, fines and reputational harm, but also loss of your right to vote, own a weapon, or hold a professional license. It could also impede employment prospects and make it difficult to rent an apartment in the future. It can affect your ability to receive state or federal benefits, government assistance, and even scholarships or financial aid for college. Finally, if you are not a U.S. citizen, you may also jeopardize your immigraton status and face deportation.
Our criminal defense attorneys believe that anyone accused of a crime is innocent unless proven guilty in a court of law and will leverage their legal knowledge and litigation skills to defend you. By conducting a thorough investigation, collecting evidence, identifying and interviewing witnesses, and tapping our respected network of private investigators and criminal experts if necessary, we will work to build a successful defense.
Unlike many law firms that typically advise clients to quickly accept plea bargains, we will explore all of your options. We will fully explain all of your rights, consider all possible defenses, and work to win an acquittal. While trial is always a route our attorneys are eager to take, we understand the risk of loss may not always make this possible. We listen to our clients, so no matter the avenue you decide to take on your case, we will work to ensure you receive the absolute best outcome for your case and protects your future aspirations.
Our legal team is highly regarded for providing a superior level of personal service — we are always available to respond to your questions and concerns and promptly return calls. When you come to Valiente Law, you will have confidence knowing that we are ultimately concerned about you and your future. Call our office today or complete the online contact form to set up a free consultation.